B2B's Kelly's review of Susan Stokers Rescuing Emily

Rescuing Emily (Delta Force Heroes, #2)Rescuing Emily by Susan Stoker
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A can't-put-down 5 stars

Emily Grant is a single mother with a precocious six year old. Barely scraping by, she's desperate for a new place to live because her current landlord is far too interested in her--and in her daughter. Cormac "Fletch" Fletcher is a Delta Force soldier looking to rent the apartment over his garage, not because he needs the money but so there is someone around when he's away on a mission. Plus he's one of the good guys, so he's more than willing to give a desperate woman a break. Rescuing Emily is the second book in the Delta Force Heroes and while it can easily be read as a standalone, we do meet a lot of the characters in the first first book (the time lines for the two books overlap), so I'd recommend reading Rescuing Rayne first.

Usually when I'm reading, I take a few notes along the way, so when it comes time to write my review, I just need to clean up and organize my notes and the review is done. However, I had no notes for this book. Zero. Nada. Not because it wasn't noteworthy, but because I was too engaged with the story to stop. A large part of the plot in this book is driven by misunderstandings, which typically make me want to throw my kindle after screaming at the characters to communicate. In this case, however, the misunderstandings are engineered by the villain, so instead of being irritated, I completely bought into the story line and read even faster (which led to the lack of note taking).

Fletch is a great alpha hero, smart and protective, and I loved the way he bonded with Emily's daughter. Emily has a strong protective streak as well, for both her daughter and for Fletch, and I loved her determination. Emily's daughter Annie was well-done and I liked how she played a large role in the story rather than just being a plot device. I really liked all these characters, including all the members of Fletch's team, and I'm looking forward to more stories in this series.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts